Concordia First Flight at 800Kg!

DB flew yesterday for the first time with a full load of water -- and, still not at gross weight.  I did my best to take some air-to-air photos but this proved to be harder than I thought ... or, I'm just terrible at it.  I'll try again today.

The Concordia thermalled and cruised well with this much water.  We flew for several hours in the blue and the heat.  Our best climb saw 7 kts on the averager but most were closer to 4 kts.  Finally, Cu started to develop and we climbed in the shade to almost 9,000 feet.  Another nice day with today promising to be the same.

7 comments for “Concordia First Flight at 800Kg!

1. Markus
    July 2, 2012 at 5:58 am

Hi,
    why is Concordia not at gross weight with a full load of water?
    How will DB try to achieve full weight then?
    CU
    Markus

• July 2, 2012 at 9:19 am

The Concordia is designed to have an engine so the water ballast maximum load does not take the ship to full gross without the engine. (Note: getting this much water in so thin and narrow a wing was difficult enough with water in front and behind the spars). DB does not have an engine hence the difference. He may add some lead ballast to bring the weight up to full gross for Uvalde.

2. Mike Z
    July 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Now, that’s interesting – Concordia is designed for an engine, but DB’s bird isn’t. Does that mean that there’s going to be another Condordia WITH an engine? Or, will DB eventually install one? I must admit, that wing mold looks awfully production-like for a one-off.

• July 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm

DB may install an engine in the future. An engine was just not on the list of things to do before first flight.

• Iain Murdoch - Mosquito G-DDWP
        July 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I know time is getting short, but might DB fit a 50 litre ballast tank in the fuselage and get the best of both worlds with the full range of wing loadings?

3. July 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm

He has a fuselage tank! He worked on getting to full gross weight this weekend. More later …

4. Glenn Holden
    July 29, 2012 at 9:21 am

Thanks for all of the updates Bill. Very interesting.
    Glenn